Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Body weight

Our body weight does not define us.

Three years ago, I was a distance runner.  I ran half marathons for shits and giggles and trained for fulls.  I did a little strength training also, but not consistently.  I did very minimal towards toning and flexibility.  I ate at restaurants 2-5 times a week, snacked late, and ate healthy at times.  I rarely had breakfast.  My processed food intake was moderate.  I was in better than average health and what many would consider fairly fit.  I weighed myself daily and focused on it often.  I wasn't very happy with my body.

Today, three years later.  I don't run often, but I'm still getting the same amount of cardio through spinning and HIIT.  I strength train regularly with heavier weights, as well as tone with lighter and body weight.  I focus on flexibility daily.  I sometimes eat out once a week, but it's pretty rare now.  I stopped my nighttime snacking and also eat much healthier through the day.  I always have breakfast.  I'm in very good health and consider myself extremely fit.  I weigh myself about once a month, just for the hell of it, and forget the number instantly.  I (mostly) love the way I look.

Today, three years later, I weigh 15 pounds more than I did when I was less fit and ate worse.  I have much more muscle yet less fat.  And I'm totally fine with that.  

Our body weight does not define us.

So many people, particularly women, fixate on that number on the scale.  It's easy to do--it's one number and it's simple to measure.  I've been there, I get it!!  I challenge those of you who fixate on this one pointless number--I challenge you to stop weighing yourself completely, at least for a month.  Instead of stepping on that scale, look at how your clothes are fitting and how your body image is improving as you make healthier life choices.  The freedom you will feel is amazing, and your results will be much more visible to both you and the rest of the world.  You'll actually appreciate what you've done for yourself!  I'll start writing more posts about how to go through with these little changes, but first I simply want you to step the fuck away from your scale, right now, today.

Our body weight does NOT define us.

1 comment:

  1. True dat, Trinity! More power to the Women!!!

    ReplyDelete